[WSBAPT] Client moved out of state to an assisted living facility without contacting me

Anthony Vivenzio vivenziolaw at rockisland.com
Wed Aug 29 14:53:37 PDT 2018

Listmates,

A client of ours was residing in our local assisted living facility.  We had
drafted a revocable living trust and a pourover will, which he executed.  He
owned real property in Colorado in addition to Washington.  To avoid the
necessity of an ancillary probate in CO, we placed that property into the
trust.  As it seemed he had limited time to live, and his mental facilities
passed in and out of lucidity, his local residence was not placed in the
trust, but is the subject of a specific bequest in his will.  We had not yet
placed it in the trust as the client and his son were considering some kind
of financial arrangement like a reverse mortgage that would be funded by his
son in order to help the client with his finances.  About a week ago, his
family brought him to a facility in CO, which he had been considering.  I
would appreciate your thoughts in terms of what I should consider doing at
the point as he will be living in CO for the rest of his life.  He possesses
all his original documents.  He wants his son to inherit his home in WA.  Is
it an option that during a period of lucidity in CO, he could execute a deed
transferring his WA property into the trust to avoid an ancillary probate in
WA?  Would he be considered a resident of CO now for purposes initiating a
probate and trust administration process?  Your thoughts would be
appreciated as I have never had a case like this before.  Thank you.

Anthony D. Vivenzio,

Attorney and Counselor at Law

PO Box 208

540 Guard Street, Ste. 260

Friday Harbor, WA  98250

(360) 378-6860

 <mailto:vivenziolaw at rockisland.com> vivenziolaw at rockisland.com

CONFIDENTIAL COMMUNICATION
E-mails from this firm normally contain confidential and privileged
material, are for the sole use of the intended recipient and may contain
material protected by HIPAA, ERISA or other federal or state law and/or may
be protected by legal privileges. Use or distribution by an unintended
recipient is prohibited, and may be a violation of law. If you believe that
you received this e-mail in error, please do not read this e-mail or any
attached items. Please delete the e-mail and all attachments, including any
copies thereof, and inform the sender that you have deleted the e-mail, all
attachments and any copies thereof. Thank you.