[WSBAPT] Deny PR or Trustee Fee for breach of fiduciary duty?

Mark Higgins markthiggins at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 13:28:16 PDT 2018

Eric and all:

Elena Garella contributes the following:

"The testatrix, and not one of the beneficiaries, determines the trustee; the
superior court, and not one of the beneficiaries, determines his
compensation." *In re Trust Estate of Powell*, 68 Wn.2d 38, 40, 411 P.2d
162, 1966.  *Powell* goes on to reduce the fees demanded: "Even though
giving the trustee full credit for a dedicated endeavor and an excellent
performance, no member of the court hearing this appeal would have allowed
a fee of $ 8,000. It seems to us that a fee more than double what the trust
department of a bank would have charged and amounting to practically a
third of the annual income of the trust, could be approved only under very
exceptional circumstances which do not exist here.
We agree with the respondent trustee that the charges made by trust
companies and trust departments of banks for similar services are not
controlling in the present case, but they certainly are to be included in
the factors going into a determination of what constitutes a just and
reasonable fee."

Also,  Baker Boyer Nat'l Bank v. Garver, 43 Wn. App. 673, might be useful.