[WSBAPT] Open a probate or not

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Thu Aug 16 15:20:10 PDT 2018

Yes, as I said--The plaintiff's claim against the Estate, that is, ability to get a judgment against Estate assets, is barred 2 years after date of death. But as you said, true, the bar does not protect insurance companies from having to pay on a claim. RCW 11.40.060. I assumed that didn't matter for this question; I interpreted the issue to be about protecting estate assets from the claim.

Also, to clarify--the plaintiff doesn't have 3 years after DOD to pursue the claim against the insurance company under RCW 11.40.060; the plaintiff is still under the normal statute of limitations for a PI action--3 years from date of injury.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC