[WSBAPT] Multiple co-agents of financial and medical powers of attorney

Mimi Wagner mimi at sanjuanlaw.com
Thu Aug 16 13:41:45 PDT 2018

All,

I have a client who wants to create a financial power of attorney and a
health care power of attorney, both effective immediately, with 10 (!)
co-agents designated, all of whom have the authority to act independently.
It seems this is legally permissible under RCW 11.125.020 ("agents" includes
"co-agents") and RCW 11.125.110 (co-agents can act independently if the
power of attorney says so) for both the medical and financial powers of
attorney, but I am concerned that there may be practical problems with
institutions respecting it (may want 9 others to sign something anyway,
confusion and delay, concern about different medical instructions from
different people, etc.).

Has anyone experienced practical problems with multiple co-agents
designated, all of whom can act independently?  I am concerned that this is
a really bad idea.

Also, do people agree that WA statute allows medical powers of attorney to
designate co-agents who can act independently? I've never had anyone want to
designate co-agents for a medical power of attorney - don't think it's a
good idea - and it appears to be legally permissible, but I'd appreciate
your thoughts on that too.

Thank you all for your time!

Mimi M. Wagner

Attorney at Law
 <mailto:mimi at sanjuanlaw.com> mimi at sanjuanlaw.com
Phone (360) 378-6234
Fax (360) 378-6244
 <http://www.sanjuanlaw.com/> www.sanjuanlaw.com

This email is sent by a law office and contains information that may be
privileged and confidential, or protected by the work product doctrine.  If
you believe that it has been sent to you in error, do not read it. Please
notify the sender that you have received the message in error, and then
delete it.  To comply with IRS rules, we must tell you that if this message
contains advice relating to federal taxes, that advice was not intended to
be used, and cannot be used, for avoiding penalties that may be imposed
under federal tax law.

---