[WSBAPT] Wa probate with wa and or real estate

Philip N. Jones pjones at duffykekel.com
Mon Aug 6 16:04:10 PDT 2018

I am 99% certain that you must probate the Oregon property down here in Oregon.  I am assuming that you have Oregon real estate.  If it is personal property, I am 99% certain that you can probate it in Washington.
Here in Oregon, our statutes make little or no mention of an ancillary probate.  What that means is you simply follow the Oregon probate statutes 100%, regardless of whether you have a primary probate going on in Washington.  The Oregon probate will look just like any other Oregon probate, except that the original will is filed in the Washington court, and a certified copy is filed in the Oregon court.  That's the only difference.
Our probates are not as easy as in Washington, but on the other hand they are not as complicated as in California.
Phil Jones
Portland, OR

Philip N. Jones |Duffy Kekel LLP
111 SW 5th Ave, Suite 1500, Portland OR 97204
(503) 226-1371 (main)| (503) 226-3574 (fax)
pjones at duffykekel.com<mailto:pjones at duffykekel.com>