[WSBAPT] name change in Washington

Setareh Mahmoodi mahmoodi.setareh at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 18:19:36 PDT 2018

Wendy,

Check the state's vital records/department of health website. I did one in
Minnesota I think, they usually notate the name change on the birth
certificate and then you can purchase and order certified ones for your
client for their records. You should always update the birth certificate so
that it matches the name being used in order to avoid issues later.

I know that in WA it can be reported to DOH/ Vital Records so a notation is
added to the birth certificate and you can purchase certified copies
thereafter. Some states change the whole birth certificate and some add a
notation that it was changed.

Setareh