[WSBAPT] Fw: Open Communication to all WSBA Members on the BOG elections ...

Jennifer Mackley jennifer.mackley at mackleylaw.com
Mon Apr 16 15:28:52 PDT 2018

Jackie,
Thank you for forwarding Paul’s message. But there are actually 2 reform candidates in the District 7S run-off election: Jennifer Mackley and Jean Kang.
Please read their ballot statements before voting. All the BOG candidates bios are at https://www.wsba.org/about-wsba/who-we-are/board-elections/meet-the-candidates. The District 7S candidates’ statements are below:

Jennifer Ann Mackley

To make the WSBA truly RESPONSIVE to its membership, the first step is listening to its members. The Board of Governors is tackling issues that need to be resolved in accordance with our collective input, not individual agendas. District 7-South is the largest WSBA District, with almost 1/5 of the Bar membership, so our involvement is significant. With a STRONG representative like me reflecting your feedback to the Board, your VOICE will be heard.

Currently 43% of the WSBA are either solo practitioners or part of firms with fewer than five attorneys, yet SOLO AND SMALL PRACTITIONERS make up only 16% of the Board. We need to ensure the Board reflects the DIVERSITY of the Bar and, as a Solo/Small Firm Practitioner for 19 years, I will be able to advocate for fair representation of all practitioners.

The WSBA can be what we need it to be: an EFFECTIVE resource to 1) make it easier for us to practice law ethically and professionally in Washington; and 2) educate the public on how we can help them help themselves. Choosing the best person to represent you on the Board is how you can make that possible. Thank you for your support!

Jean Y. Kang

WSBA is a complicated, and diverse, organization with an important mission: to serve the public and members, ensure the integrity of the legal profession, and champion justice. Currently serving as an At-Large Governor, I have the experience and inside knowledge to hit the ground running as the Governor for District 7-South. I have developed constructive working relationships with the other governors and have been in the thick of the action. You need a governor who understands the issues that the Board is currently facing and is actively taking part in reforming the Board to better serve the members and the public.

The immediate issues facing the incoming class of Governors will be how to get back on budget, membership control, and promoting diversity in the legal profession. Since being on the Board, I have been vocal on diversity issues, including supporting various clinics and programs for underrepresented communities, and partnership with minority bar associations. I have also been vocal on protecting referendum rights, and pushing for membership control through total transparency of the governing process. The ability of members to guide their Bar is paramount. Your voice matters. Please vote for me!