[WSBAPT] RLT question

Marcus Fry mfry at lyon-law.com
Fri Sep 22 09:45:08 PDT 2017

Sharon:
I am not sure what your client's privacy concerns are exactly.  Are these concerns related to the POA's involvement with your client's finances?  If so, that is an entirely different issue about whether the POA should be the one serving if client doesn't like the POA having access to her information.  If privacy pertains to third parties, I am not sure why the trust wouldn't be funded now.  Your client would have as much privacy with a trust as she would have with her own personal accounts.  Why can't the RLT be set up with the client and POA as co-trustees with authority to act jointly or independently?  That way if something happens to your client rendering her incapacitated, the co-trustee can continue to act.

Marcus J. Fry
Lyon, Weigand & Gustafson, P.S.
P.O. Box 1689
Yakima, Washington  98907