[WSBAPT] question on right of retainer

Heather deVrieze heatherd at westseattlelaw.com
Mon Sep 11 15:22:22 PDT 2017

Similarly, I often include language to indicate that any unpaid balance of such loan(s) be treated as a portion of the owing child's distributive share of the estate. I have spent countless hours explaining this math to clients, and neither the debtors nor the other beneficiaries ever seem very happy about it. I also avoid using any language about "forgiving the debt" so as to avoid any tax on discharge of indebtedness.

Here is some language I might have included for a hypothetical client recently:

"A portion of my estate is comprised of certain loans I have made to my children over the years. As of the date of this Will, Child One owes me $47,000.00, Child Two owes me $110,000.00, and Child Three owes me $13,000.00. I maintain a record of repayment of each loan with the promissory notes documenting these loans. I direct my Personal Representative to allocate the outstanding principal balance of such loans against each child's share of my estate, provided, in no case shall a child be required to repay any portion of such outstanding loan balance at my death if the outstanding loan balance exceeds their distributive share of my estate."

Heather

Heather S. de Vrieze
Attorney-at-Law
[cid:image001.jpg at 01D013C2.30F35160]
3909 California Avenue SW
Seattle, WA 98116-3705
(206)938-5500
heatherd at westseattlelaw.com<mailto:heatherd at westseattlelaw.com>
www.westseattlelaw.com<http://www.westseattlelaw.com/>
Click here to connect with de Vrieze | Carney on Facebook:   [FB Logo] <https://www.facebook.com/DeVriezeCarney>

CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED. This e-mail message may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this e-mail message and any attachment.