[WSBAPT] question on right of retainer

Setareh Mahmoodi mahmoodi.setareh at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 13:44:26 PDT 2017

I include something similar to Rebecca's in situations such as this one. I
also reference if there is a contract or promissory note. I encourage that
the Testator keep records of the payments if possible in a letter of
instructions to the PR to avoid issues later.

Setareh

On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 1:01 PM, Sharon Rutberg <sharon at salmonbaylaw.com>
wrote:

> Happy Monday, list mates --
>

> I am writing wills for clients who are concerned that if their estate were
> divided among their three children at the death of the second spouse to
> die, one child might have an outstanding debt to the parents that should be
> offset from her distributive share. As I read the law of Washington, the
> doctrine of retainer says that the debt should indeed be set off or
> "retained" before the shares are distributed.  Does anyone include language
> in their wills to account for this circumstance - that is, to refer to the
> loan and express the intent of the testator that the offset should occur?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Sharon
>

> Sharon C. Rutberg, Attorney at Law
>
> Salmon Bay Law Group, PLLC
>
> 1734 NW Market St.
>
> Seattle, WA 98107
>
> 206-735-3177, ext. 2 <(206)%20735-3177>
>
> sharon at salmonbaylaw.com
>
> Website: www.salmonbaylaw.com
>
> Washington State Bar #47055
>
> NOTICES
> The contents of this message and any attachments may be protected by the
> attorney-client privilege, work product doctrine, and/or other applicable
> protections. If you are not the intended recipient or have received this
> message in error, please notify the sender and promptly delete the message.
> Thank you for your assistance.
>

> IRS Circular 230 Disclaimer: To ensure compliance with requirements
> imposed by the IRS, we inform you that to the extent this communication
> contains advice relating to a Federal tax issue, it is not intended or
> written to be used, and it may not be used, for (i) the purpose of avoiding
> any penalties that may be imposed on you or any other person or entity
> under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting or marketing to another
> party any transaction or matter addressed herein.

*Best regards, *

*Setareh Mahmoodi *

*Attorney at Law *

*18222 104th Ave NE, Suite 103*

*Bothell, WA 98011*

*Phone: 425-806-1500*

*Cell: 206-683-1006 *

*Fax: 425-489-4142 (Please email documents if at all possible) *

*Website: **http://www.lawofficesofsm.com/ <http://www.lawofficesofsm.com/>*

*CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:* This email message and any attachments is a
transmission from the law firm and is intended for the recipient only.  It
may contain information that is confidential and legally protected by the
attorney-client, work product and/or other privileges.  If you are not the
designated or intended recipient, please destroy the message without
disclosing any of its contents and notify us immediately by reply email or
by calling (425) 806-1500.

Pursuant to U.S. Treasury Department Regulations, we are now required to
advise you that, unless otherwise expressly indicated, any federal tax
advice contained in this communication, including attachments and
enclosures, is not intended or written to be used, and may not be used, for
the purpose of (i) avoiding tax-related penalties under the Internal
Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party
any tax-related matters addressed herein.