[WSBAPT] Looking for Creative Solution - Intestate Estate with Step Children

Rob Wilson-Hoss rob at hctc.com
Wed Oct 11 08:54:38 PDT 2017

How about this?

Heirs may enter into an agreement that disposes of the estate in a plan different from that provided by a will. Collins v. Collins, 151 Wash. 201, 215, 275 P. 571 (1929). Family settlement agreements are favored and honored in Washington law to resolve a dispute among heirs if the agreement is made without fraud or injustice, and where the creditors do not have the right to intervene. Id. The policy behind upholding family settlement agreement is to avert family disputes, adjust doubtful rights, protect the honor of a family, and avoid litigation. In re Estate of Witte, 25 Wash.2d 487, 498, 171 P.2d 183 (1946) (quoting Warner v. Warner, 124 Conn. 625, 631, 1 A.2d 911 (1938)). Family settlements “should be accorded finality to the fullest extent possible, and should be encouraged and fostered as a matter of public policy.” Hadley v. Cowan, 60 Wash.App. 433, 438–39, 804 P.2d 1271 (1991).

In re Estate of Washburn, 168 Wash. App. 1043 (2012)

I use it once in a while and if everyone agrees, our Commissioner will as well. In combination with the TEDRA agreement provisions, it works pretty well. I usually like to get an agreed order to make the title examiner totally comfortable. Tax implications are not part of this advice.

Rob

Robert D. Wilson-Hoss
Hoss & Wilson-Hoss, LLP
236 West Birch Street
Shelton, WA 98584
360 426-2999

www.hossandwilson-hoss.com
rob at hctc.com

This message is intended solely for the use of the addressee and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If you are not the addressee, you are hereby notified that any use, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us by reply e-mail or by telephone (call us collect at the number listed above) and immediately delete this message and any and all of its attachments.  Thank you.

This office does debt collection and this e-mail may be an attempt to collect a debt, Any information obtained will be used for that purpose.  To the extent the Federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (15 U.S.C. § 1692) applies this firm is acting as a debt collector for the condominium/homeowners' association named above to collect a debt owed to it. Any information obtained will be used for collection purposes. You have the right to seek advice of legal counsel.