[WSBAPT] Ward of State

Andrew Hay andrewhay at washingtonlaw.net
Fri May 5 13:56:21 PDT 2017

This is a new situation for me, but maybe not for others.

I have an intestate estate where one adult beneficiary (of several) is a ward of the state due to severe brain damage as a child.  He is now in his 70s.  Estate value per heir is $50-$100K

I am opening intestate estate – do we appoint GAL for the ward when the estate is opened, does his share go to the state for his care costs?

Any other issues?

Andrew Hay
Hay & Swann PLLC
201 South 34th Street
Tacoma, WA  98418
Phone: (253) 272-2400
Fax:     (253) 267-8947
www.washingtonlaw.net<http://www.washingtonlaw.net/>

THIS IS A CONFIDENTIAL COMMUNICATION AND IS INTENDED FOR THE DESIGNATED RECIPIENT ONLY.  IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS COMMUNICATION IN ERROR, PLEASE NOTIFY THE SENDER IMMEDIATELY AND DESTROY ALL COPIES