[WSBAPT] New Power of Attorney Act Questions

Setareh Mahmoodi mahmoodi.setareh at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 21:01:53 PDT 2017

I always do separate HC POA and Financial DPOA as well. I don't see
anything in the statute prohibiting that as well.

Setareh

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 4:00 PM, Douglas Bratt <djbratt at mbavancouverlaw.com>
wrote:

> Listmates:
>

> Re-opening a dialogue of about six weeks ago, I have a question about the
> new Power of Attorney Act when applied to the development of Durable POA’s
> for Clients to sign.
>

> Very often, I have clients who prefer to have different persons making
> financial decisions as opposed to health care decisions.  For that reason,
> I have, over the past number of years, had clients sign a separate Health
> Care DPA and a separate DPA for Financial Affairs.  The Health Care
> providers seemed to prefer that approach, and with all of the HIPPA stuff
> we were dealing with over the past number of years, there was enough stuff
> to put into a Health Care DPA.
>

> In studying the new Act related to my development of  new DPA forms, I saw
> nothing in the statute that would make me think that I need to have two
> different such documents anymore.  However, I also saw nothing in the new
> Act that would prevent the appointment of an “Agent” solely for Health Care
> decisions, and an “Agent” solely for non-health care decisions in the same
> new DPA document.
>

> Has anyone noted anything in the statute that would prevent such an
> approach, and does anyone see any pitfalls of doing so in an appropriate
> circumstance?
>

> Yes, I know that is a compound question, but please be patient with an
> older fellow.
>

> Thanks for any of your insights.
>

> Doug Bratt
>

> Douglas J. Bratt
>
> Lawyer
>

> [image: Envelope scaled Terry]
>

> Office: (360) 213-2040
>
>  Fax: (360) 213-2030
>

> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This email message may contain confidential or
> privileged information.  If you have received this message by mistake,
> please do not review, disclose, copy, or distribute the email. Instead,
> please notify us immediately by replying to this message or telephoning
> us.  Thank you.
>

> NOTE:  I do not use encrypted email.  Messages sent to or from my office
> via email are not secure and may not be protected by attorney-client
> privilege.  This email address is not monitored at all times.  If your
> matter is urgent, please phone my office during regular business hours.
>

> TAX ADVICE NOTICE: IRS Circular 230 requires us to advise you that, if
> this communication or any attachment contains any tax advice, the advice is
> not intended to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of avoiding
> federal tax penalties.

Please always call 206-683-1006 or email before dropping by the office as I
could be in court or meetings. Thanks!

*Best regards, *

*Setareh Mahmoodi *

*Attorney at Law *

*18222 104th Ave NE, Suite 103*

*Bothell, WA 98011*

*Phone: 425-806-1500*

*Cell: 206-683-1006*

*Fax: 425-489-4142 (Please email documents if at all possible) *

*Website: **http://www.lawofficesofsm.com/ <http://www.lawofficesofsm.com/>*

*CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:* This email message and any attachments is a
transmission from the law firm and is intended for the recipient only.  It
may contain information that is confidential and legally protected by the
attorney-client, work product and/or other privileges.  If you are not the
designated or intended recipient, please destroy the message without
disclosing any of its contents and notify us immediately by reply email or
by calling (425) 806-1500.

Pursuant to U.S. Treasury Department Regulations, we are now required to
advise you that, unless otherwise expressly indicated, any federal tax
advice contained in this communication, including attachments and
enclosures, is not intended or written to be used, and may not be used, for
the purpose of (i) avoiding tax-related penalties under the Internal
Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party
any tax-related matters addressed herein.