[WSBAPT] gift of stock include dividends accrued but not paid?

Doug Schafer schafer at pobox.com
Thu Mar 16 01:10:16 PDT 2017

We're addressing only funds received post-death. I don't believe the pre-
or post-death date on a dividend check should determine if it passes to the
specific legatee of the stock portfolio or to the estate's residuary
beneficiary.  I believe the specific legatee of the stock is entitled to
the dividend checks received post-death from that stock.

The uniform principal and income act, adopted in WA as RCW Ch. 11.104A, has
complex rules to determine when amounts received by a fiduciary (including
a PR) are principal or income (e.g., dividends issued based on a pre-death
shareholder-of-record date are principal, but if based on a post-death
record date are income). However, for receipts from specifically bequeathed
property, the principal or income determination does not determine the
rightful distributee, because section .050(1) states "A fiduciary of an
estate ... shall determine the amount of net income and net principal
receipts received from property specifically given to a beneficiary under
[certain listed sections]. The fiduciary shall distribute the net income
and net principal receipts to the beneficiary who is to receive the
specific property."

The last sentence of that subsection appears to be controlling. Concerning
that section (201) of the uniform act, particularly its last sentence, a
2007 AICPA Fiduciary Accounting Guide (URL below) explains it, at page 35,
"If property is specifically given to a beneficiary, that beneficiary is
entitled to all of the net income and principal receipts associated with
the specific property. This includes all of the amounts that the fiduciary
receives or pays with respect to the property, regardless of whether the
amount accrued or became due before, on, or after the decedent’s death."
http://www.boa.virginia.gov/docs/aicpapracticeguideforfiduciary_trust_accounting.pdf

Doug Schafer, in Tacoma.