[WSBAPT] gift of stock include dividends accrued but not paid?

Douglas Bratt djbratt at mbavancouverlaw.com
Wed Mar 15 19:58:33 PDT 2017

I agree with Jayne.  I would think that bequest was for “all incidents of ownership,” the rights to which go to the nephews, as of the date of death of the Decedent, such that a dividend check issued on or after the death of the Decedent would go to the nephews.

If the dividend check was dated a day before the death of the Decedent, I think the dividend amounts would then belong to the other beneficiary, even if the check was not received until after the death of the Decedent.

Regards,

Doug Bratt

Douglas J. Bratt
Lawyer

[Envelope scaled Terry]

Office: (360) 213-2040
 Fax: (360) 213-2030

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This email message may contain confidential or privileged information.  If you have received this message by mistake, please do not review, disclose, copy, or distribute the email. Instead, please notify us immediately by replying to this message or telephoning us.  Thank you.

NOTE:  I do not use encrypted email.  Messages sent to or from my office via email are not secure and may not be protected by attorney-client privilege.  This email address is not monitored at all times.  If your matter is urgent, please phone my office during regular business hours.

TAX ADVICE NOTICE: IRS Circular 230 requires us to advise you that, if this communication or any attachment contains any tax advice, the advice is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of avoiding federal tax penalties.