[WSBAPT] what qualifies as a cost of administration?

Randolph Petgrave RandGrave at msn.com
Thu Mar 9 11:42:09 PST 2017

Marilyn,

I think those items listed would definitely constitute costs of administration.  RCW 11.48.050 states in part that the PR "shall be allowed all necessary expenses in the care, management, and settlement of the estate."  This is regardless of whether the debts and liabilities end up exceeding the assets.  In addition, your client can receive a reasonable fee for his services as PR, so the time he put into getting the property ready for sale etc etc. can be considered administration expenses (as well as any attorney fees per RCW 11.48.210).

RCW 11.76.110 sets forth the priority of creditor rights.  Costs of administration take priority over debts given preference by law; state taxes or debts.

I have been in a similar situation with DSHS.  When I laid out the law and proved the inability of the estate to pay any debts after costs of administration, they backed off.

Good luck,

Randy