[WSBAPT] Unmarried Person's rights - Partner in Hospital

G. (Gus) Benjamin Lindsey III lindsey3 at gbl3law.com
Fri Jun 9 12:56:40 PDT 2017

Hello,

I have a situation in which one member of a long-term couple is
incapacitated (may also be in a "psyche ward" per the partner(PC).) I think
the couple has been together for over nine years.

The couple did not have a healthcare directive or any other estate planning
documents. The PC wants to be able to see the partner but has been prevented
from doing so by the mother of the injured party, and the hospital. (no
surprise)

PC wants to know what options are available to see the partner. Another
complication is that PC's partner had a child (recently) which is in the
care of the state, because the mother is unfit to parent at this time. There
is a pending paternity test to confirm whether or not PC is the father of
the new child.

I am in a CLE today but I am wondering if PC has any legal (inexpensive)
options to see his partner. I do not think the incapacitated person is able
to make any decisions, PC has left message with various hospital officials
with no success at getting help.

Sincerely,

G. (Gus) Benjamin Lindsey III

Attorney-at-Law

The Law Office of G. Benjamin Lindsey III

2012 Grade Road, Suite 202

Lake Stevens, WA 98258

Phone:   (425) 263-9585

website: www.gbl3law.com <http://www.gbl3law.com/>

Employment/Labor Law     Construction Law     Civil Litigation     Estate
Planning      Probate

Business Law

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: This e-mail message contains information belonging to
The Law Office of G. Benjamin Lindsey III, which may be privileged,
confidential and/or protected from disclosure.  The information is intended
only for the use of the individual or entity named above.  If you think that
you have received this message in error, please contact the sender.  If you
are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying
is strictly prohibited