[WSBAPT] Retaining estate documents

Randolph Petgrave randgrave at msn.com
Sat Jul 29 12:44:14 PDT 2017

Thanks to everyone who gave input both on and offline.  Much appreciated and very helpful!

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 29, 2017, at 12:38 PM, Jay DeMers <jay.demerslawfirm at gmail.com<mailto:jay.demerslawfirm at gmail.com>> wrote:

Hello Randy,

Here are the guidelines I always followed:

1) Was a 706 required with the State of WA or the IRS? If so, keep it for 7 to 10 years.
2) Assuming that the Inventory and Appraisement was not filed with the Court, keep it and how your client arrived at all of the values for 7 to 10 years.
3) Assuming everything else was filed with the Court, then there is no need to keep those documents.
4) I am not recommending that  you destroy your own file on this for 7 to 10 years, to protect yourself and to possibly provide something that might be needed in the future if your client dies and her documents are not available.

Best,
Jay