[WSBAPT] Retaining estate documents

Jay DeMers jay.demerslawfirm at gmail.com
Sat Jul 29 12:28:13 PDT 2017

Hello Randy,

Here are the guidelines I always followed:

1) Was a 706 required with the State of WA or the IRS? If so, keep it for 7
to 10 years.
2) Assuming that the Inventory and Appraisement was *not* filed with the
Court, keep it and how your client arrived at all of the values for 7 to 10
years.
3) Assuming everything else was filed with the Court, then there is no need
to keep those documents.
4) I am not recommending that  you destroy your own file on this for 7 to
10 years, to protect yourself and to possibly provide something that might
be needed in the future if your client dies and her documents are not
available.

Best,
Jay