[WSBAPT] How to move forward with Quit Claim Deed when names listed on title are misspelled

Eric Reutter eric at tnguyenlaw.com
Tue Jul 18 17:33:45 PDT 2017

Hi all,

I have a quick question involving a pre-existing error on title to an
individual's home.

I am in the process of preparing a quit claim deed for clients. When I
checked the title records, I noticed that the most recent deed, the
statutory warranty deed issued to clients when they purchased the home,
erroneously flipped the clients' middle and first names.

For example, instead of reading "John Doe Smith," the deed read "Doe John
Smith." And instead of "Jane Doe Smith" the wife's name was listed as "Doe
Jane Smith."

My question is, what is the best way to proceed in regards to the inverted
names, when I want to draft a quit claim deeds transferring ownership from
one co-owner to the other co-owner?

One possibility is to simply prepare the quit claim deed with the correct
spelling of the clients' names. With this approach, however, I worry about
 the discrepancy on title between the names on the statutory warranty deed
and the names on the quit claim deed..

Another option is to look into filing a corrective deed, but I worry that
method would require the signature of the original grantor of the statutory
warranty deed.

If anyone has experience dealing with a misspelled or inverted name
appearing on title, I would appreciate your thoughts!

Best regards,

*Eric Reutter, J.D., LL.M.*
*Law Office of Theresa Nguyen, PLLC*
707 S Grady Way, Suite 600 | Renton, WA 98057
Ph. *425.998.7295 <(425)%20998-7295>* | Fax *425.420.2695
<(425)%20420-2695>*
*www.tnguyenlaw.com <http://www.tnguyenlaw.com/>* | *eric at tnguyenlaw.com
<theresa at tnguyenlaw.com> *

This e-mail and the attachments within is covered by the
Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. secs. 2510-2521, and is
legally privileged and confidential. This communication may also be
protected by attorney-client privilege, the work product doctrine or other
applicable legal protections. If the reader of this message is not the
intended recipient, the reader is hereby notified that any unauthorized
review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly
sender by reply e-mail or call the sender at 425.998.7295
<(425)%20998-7295> and destroy
all copies of the original message.