[WSBAPT] Charity percentage in a Will contingent on some duty?

John Creahan john at cairn-law.com
Thu Jul 13 16:08:54 PDT 2017

Hi Lisa Kay,
From a planning perspective, I would ask the client to assume that the charity will decline to serve as PR (which might be a good thing since their employees are busy, have little or no experience in the role, and are unlikely to have E and O insurance if they make a mistake).
I would ask the client to think about why he or she wants that particular charity to serve as PR and would try to help the client understand that the personal representative (whoever it is) is entitled to a fee. A charitable gift, on the other hand, is just that – a gift.
I would likely encourage my client to appoint a professional fiduciary to serve as PR and give the charity an unrestricted gift.
Hope this helps,
John

John Creahan
www.cairn-law.com<http://www.cairn-law.com/>