[WSBAPT] Recording a Quit Claim Deed after Death of Grantor

Eric Reutter eric at appelgatereutter.com
Mon Jan 23 09:36:22 PST 2017

Hello and good morning,

I have a simple fact pattern that presents and interesting procedural
question. I am involved in a probate situation where, before passing away,
the decedent had properly executed a quit claim deed for the decedent’s
interest in a home. The decedent, however, did not record the deed or
corresponding REETA/Supplemental REETA before the decedent’s death.

This situation now presents the following question: *What is the procedure
for recording a quit claim deed after the grantor had passed away?
(Specifically in regards to the REETA and Supplemental REETA)*

My first thought was simply to have the personal representative sign the
REETA and Supplemental REETA on behalf of the decedent. The representative
at the King County Recorder’s Office, however, told me that they wanted
guidance from the DOR before they would be comfortable with the PR signing
off on the Supplemental REETA (they seemed to have no problem recording the
deed itself, or with the PR signing off on the REETA, but seemed to be
uncomfortable with the PR signing off on the Supplemental REETA).

When I spoke with the DOR on the phone, the DOR representative suggested
that I use the inheritance WAC (458-61A-202) on the REETA so as to avoid
the need entirely for the Supplemental REETA. I told the representative
that I did not fully understand that solution, as the quit claim deed
represents an inter-vivos transfer, and that it seemed inappropriate to me
to cite the inheritance WAC for such a transfer. The DOR agent was unable
to give me written confirmation of this procedure.

I would greatly appreciate any guidance on this issue. I have a few more
ideas for how to proceed, but I am curious to see if other practitioners
have seen this issue before and, if so, how they recorded the quit claim
deed.

Best regards,

*Eric Reutter, *Partner
*J.D., LL.M. Taxation*
14205 SE 36th Street, Suite 100
Bellevue, WA 98006
*(425) 298-7110* | *appelgatereutter.com <http://appelgatereutter.com/> *

Confidentiality: This e-mail may contain information that is privileged,
confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not the
intended recipient or otherwise have received this message in error, you
are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or disseminate this message
or any part of it. In such case, you should destroy this message and any
attachments and kindly notify the sender by reply email.

Circular 230 Notice:  This communication may not be used by you or
any other person or entity for the purpose of avoiding any federal
tax penalties.