[WSBAPT] New DPOA Law and Using DPOA in Favor of AIF

Jane Bitz jbitz at whc-attorneys.com
Fri Jan 6 11:22:28 PST 2017

Melinda:
Thank you for sharing your gifting clause.

I am working on a similar section for my DPOA. Another attorney in my firm and I are collaborating on a document right now. We are considering a "standard gifting clause" and a separate "Medicaid gifting clause" to set up the distinction between "normal" gifting that may follow a pre-established pattern of gifting by the principal and the "extraordinary" situation of Medicaid qualification.

Where appropriate, I would emphasize that "unlimited" gifting can be done to or for the benefit of the spouse of the principal because those are always exempt transfers for Medicaid qualifying, i.e.: they will not create a period of ineligibility for benefits because they are not subject to the 5 year look back for other gifts. The problem is with blended families this kind of gifting can create conflicts with the principal's estate planning for their family vs. the new spouse.

Jane.

Jane G Bitz
Of Counsel
Wolff, Hislop & Crockett, PLLC