[WSBAPT] Suit Against Trust v. Opening Probate - Legal Leap

John Creahan john at cairn-law.com
Wed Feb 15 11:33:51 PST 2017

I would phrase this a little differently.
Assuming that the creditor's claim is against the decedent (and not directly against her revocable living trust, which would be very unusual), the creditor needs to follow normal probate procedures. If no probate is opened and no notice agent appointed, I agree with Marcus that the creditor's only option would be to open a probate, or at least threaten to do so.
Once a claim has been allowed, the assets held in the revocable living trust are available to satisfy the claim, as provided in RCW 11.18.200 (2)(e):
A trust for the decedent's use of which the decedent is the grantor is subject to the decedent's liabilities, claims, estate taxes, and administration expenses as described in subsection (1) of this section, to the same extent as the trust was subject to claims of the decedent's creditors immediately before death under RCW 19.36.020<http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=19.36.020>.
I don't think the decedent's revocable living trust would be liable for the decedent's pre-death debts unless the claim had been previously approved by the probate court.
My $.02.
John

John Creahan
www.cairn-law.com<http://www.cairn-law.com/>