[WSBAPT] Property Ownership/ Trust Question

Scott Hildebrand scott at starboard-strategies.com
Wed Feb 15 10:15:05 PST 2017

Dear Trust Gurus:

With the disclaimer that I only get wrapped up in trust law when it crosses
with property law, here is a question I am hoping you all can shed some
light on.

A client is attempting to acquire a property that is in the name of a family
trust. The trustor has passed as has the personal representative for the
trustor's estate. The pr's pr is still around and has been the point on this
so far. Because the family trust owns the property, the title insurer is
asking that we do a petition naming an alternate trustee for the trust,
which would be the pr's pr in all likelihood.

I have never done one of these, but it seems as though it would be pretty
straightforward after all the required notice provisions. For those of you
who have done such a pleading, how does it go and what do I need to do? Some
crib forms would be awesome if someone would like to share.

Thanks,

Scott Hildebrand