[WSBAPT] notice to minor of probate

Heather deVrieze heatherd at westseattlelaw.com
Fri Dec 15 08:58:20 PST 2017

I do not believe that the grandchildren are entitled to notice of the petition solely by reason of being beneficiary of a nonprobate asset, however, they might be if they are also intestate heirs (because their parent has died). Frankly, claiming the nonprobate asset is where the problem will likely arise, not in the probate context at all. I’m not sure the GAL is an expense the estate needs to bear. I might disclose in the petition that there are minor grandchildren as named beneficiaries on the IRA, and would give them notice, via their parent or legal guardian, that a Personal Representative has been appointed, as required by 11.28.237, but I don’t think they are entitled to advance notice of the petition,.

Heather

Heather S. de Vrieze
Attorney-at-Law
[cid:image001.jpg at 01D013C2.30F35160]
3909 California Avenue SW
Seattle, WA 98116-3705
(206)938-5500
heatherd at westseattlelaw.com<mailto:heatherd at westseattlelaw.com>
www.westseattlelaw.com<http://www.westseattlelaw.com/>
Click here to connect with de Vrieze | Carney on Facebook:   [FB Logo] <https://www.facebook.com/DeVriezeCarney>

CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED. This e-mail message may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this e-mail message and any attachment.