[WSBAPT] How to Insure Surviving Spouse Share with Deceased Spouse Child

Ms. Roberta Armstrong robertaa at uw.edu
Mon Aug 28 12:52:15 PDT 2017

Hello again Listserve,

Thank you for all the replies.

I considered a will that creates a testamentary trust. But that will only
have authority over the first deceased spouse's portion of the estate, not
the complete joint community estate at date of death.

It appears that this couple wants the surviving spouse to have full use and
enjoyment of the joint estate, but they also believe the surviving spouse
should continue their joint venture to produce a greater estate that
eventually Both children should share equally from (not have the surviving
child of the first deceased spouse only enjoy their portion of the joint
community value at their date of death).

This is because the couple is currently in a legal battle over the value of
a large piece of waterfront property which they do not anticipate will
be resolved for some years. And if one of the spouses dies during the
litigation, their child will not realize the true value of the asset (if
the surviving spouse is successful in continuing their case, of course)
because the property will be valued as of the date of the first spouse's
death (less than 30% of its "true" fair market value)..

Perhaps the first deceased spouse's community value can be considered as
investment capital/funding in the remaining life of the surviving spouse
which most likely will be used to continue the litigation... Or am I over
thinking this...?

Thank you.

Roberta

--
*Creator of the first on-line Indian Will Production System - CHECK OUT *
*www.NativeWill.org* <http://www.nativewill.org/>

*Ms. Roberta Armstrong*

Washington State Bar Association No. 42343

Founder and Executive Director

Stewards of Indigenous Resources Endowment,

*a Non-Profit Professional Service Corporation               *

P O Box 2248

Yelm, WA  98597

425.737.5448 | Direct

866.227.6651 | Fax