[WSBAPT] Can out-of-state conservator represent disabled beneficiary in a probate?

Jon Fritzler FritzlerLaw at outlook.com
Wed Aug 16 13:23:23 PDT 2017

I represent the PR of an estate and found out after my client was appointed that one of the beneficiaries is incapable of managing her finances. The beneficiary lives in California. I was planning to ask the court to appoint a GAL for the beneficiary but then was informed that a relative of the beneficiary will be seeking to have a conservator appointed for her and that the process of having a conservator appointed does not take an unduly long time in California.  I am unsure whether I still need to have a GAL appointed for the beneficiary in the Washington probate proceeding or should just wait for a conservator to be appointed for the beneficiary.  It seems to me that the conservator would be able to represent the beneficiary's interests in the probate and that appointing a GAL would just be duplicative and a needless expense.

Sincerely,
Jon M. Fritzler
Attorney at Law
PO Box 61451
Vancouver, WA 98666
Tel. 360.818.4431
E-mail fritzlerlaw at outlook.com<mailto:fritzlerlaw at outlook.com>

CONFIDENTIALITY
The information contained in this email is intended only for the use of the person or entity to whom it is addressed. This email may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the person whose name appears above, or the person responsible for delivering the email to the addressee, you are hereby notified that reading, using, copying, distributing or disseminating this communication is strictly prohibited. If you think that you have received this email message in error, please email the sender at fritzlerlaw at outlook.com<mailto:fritzlerlaw at outlook.com>. Thank you.