[WSBAPT] Probate Eviction

Jane Bitz jbitz at whc-attorneys.com
Thu Aug 10 14:59:58 PDT 2017

In my case, the reason that we had to use an Ejectment Action (coupled with a TEDRA) was that the holdover Tenant was the decedent’s son who was an heir to her estate. There is an argument to be made that he is a joint tenant in the real estate with the right to occupy.

His sister was appointed as Administrator with his agreement. He started out saying he would move when the life insurance money came in. Instead he and his wife went on a spending spree.

RCW 11.04.250 says that no probate or decree of distribution is necessary to vest title in “heirs or devisees”. I did not want to get into a battle about whether the estate could charge him rent or not & if he only had to pay 50% of the reasonable rental value. I got the feeling that he would have done this and frozen his sister out of receiving her inheritance for as long as possible.

Jane Bitz.