[WSBAPT] Estate's sale of decedent's residence - capital gains exclusion?

John Creahan john at cairn-law.com
Thu Sep 8 14:58:10 PDT 2016

Eric,
No, except in very rare situations. From IRS Chief Counsel memo 201429022:

ISSUES
Is §121(d)(11) [which permitted an estate to take advantage of Sec. 121 on the sale of the decedent's principal residence] still in effect?
CONCLUSION
For most taxpayers, § 121(d)(11) is obsolete. The only exception is in the case of a taxpayer receiving a house from a decedent who died in 2010 for whom the executor of the decedent's estate makes an election to not have the provisions of chapter 11 (the estate tax) apply to the decedent's estate. Taxpayers receiving a principal residence from a decedent under this election may still apply § 121(d)(11).

John Creahan
206-621-5848
www.cairn-law.com<http://www.cairn-law.com/>