[WSBAPT] Guardian of Estate vs. UTMA and Trust Planning

Mark Vohr mcv at ohanafc.com
Mon Oct 17 17:27:59 PDT 2016

Following up on Stewarts comments – Unless there is a good reason not to, I would err on the side of appointing a guardian of the person and estate – which could be the same or different person(s).  Given the nature of a guardianship proceeding, which would include the appointment of a guardian ad litem and a court hearing, the end result will likely be determined in the proceeding, not the nomination, and will focus on what is minimally needed to protect the minor at the time of the appointment.

Looking at it from a different perspective, we are not saying “limited” guardian in the nomination, but a limited guardianship could easily be the result following the guardianship proceedings.  So, unless there is a very good reason for being specific (person v. estate v. limited) I would include both.  The most important aspect of the nomination is to identify the person – and not to try to predict what that role might be years in the future.  Even with a trust, the minor could be receiving their deceased parents social security or some other money that does not make it to a trust.

RCW 11.88.080  is the governing statute, and note too that as of 1/1/2017 a nomination can be made in a DPOA as well.

Mark

Ohana Fiduciary Corp.
Ohana Financial Services

Mark C. Vohr, J.D., CPG, Principal