[WSBAPT] Guardian of Estate vs. UTMA and Trust Planning

Stewart Feil feil at cni.net
Mon Oct 17 16:45:50 PDT 2016

Hi Eric,

I suppose that depends upon the type of plan involved. If there is a Living Trust in place that will control all distributions to the next generation, then I see no advantage to including the language for guardian of estate.

If you are dealing with a Will that is not deliberately establishing any type of testamentary trust, then adding the nomination for guardian of the estate could have some benefit. This can solve the problem of who should be custodian for a UTMA transfer. The natural person to serve in that role is the person designated guardian of the estate.

Again, I think that if there is a Living Trust as part of the plan that the successor trustee would control distribution of funds to the minor and the guardian of the estate would not really have a role to play. There comes a point when too many hats are distributed for various people to wear in fulfillment of a plan. This is an additional hat that isn’t necessary.

Interesting question, though. I look forward to other’s thoughts.

--

Warm regards,

Stewart Feil

Hanigan Law Office, PS

PO Box 39 - 68 Main Street

Cathlamet, WA 98612

(360) 795-3494

(360) 795-3001 (f)

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  THIS EMAIL IS INTENDED TO BE A CONFIDENTIAL AND PRIVILEGED ATTORNEY-CLIENT COMMUNICATION.  IF YOU ARE NOT THE INTENDED RECIPIENT OF THIS EMAIL, PLEASE DO NOT READ OR PRINT IT.  This transmission is intended for the sole use of the individual and entity to whom it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  You are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or duplication of this transmission by someone other than the intended addressee or its designated agent is strictly prohibited.  If your receipt of this transmission is in error, please notify the sender immediately by calling 360.795.3494, or by reply to this transmission, and then permanently delete the message.

DISCLAIMER NOTICE:  Email communication on the internet is NOT secure.  There is a risk that this communication may be intercepted illegally, waiving any implied or explicit attorney-client or work-product privileges.