[WSBAPT] DPA amending Will

Lewis, Amy C. ALewis at Eisenhowerlaw.com
Thu Oct 6 14:27:15 PDT 2016

Josh,

                Under existing RCW 11.94.050, POA does not have power to make or change a Will.  I’m not sure if this is addressed differently in our new POA statutes that take effect in January.

Amy C. Lewis, Attorney

[cid:logo56e9d2]

ESTATE PLANNING & PROBATE

1201 Pacific Avenue, Suite 1200 | Tacoma, WA 98402
phone 253.572.4500 | fax 253.272.5732 | www.eisenhowerlaw.com<http://www.eisenhowerlaw.com/>

From: wsbapt-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com [mailto:wsbapt-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com] On Behalf Of Josh Grant
Sent: Thursday, October 06, 2016 1:48 PM
To: wsbar trust
Subject: [WSBAPT] DPA amending Will

I have a client who appointed son as P of A under a DPA.  It specifically includes the power “to the extent permitted by Washington law,” to make, amend alter or revoke the Principal’s LW&T.  Son now wants to sign a new will for mom under this power.  No change in beneficiaries, but the two adult kids (who now don’t get along) were named as co-PR’s originally, and now Son want’s to be sole PR.
Mom is probably not competent.

To what extent, if at all, does Washington law permit this?

All through the years I have always represented Mom.  I am thinking , even if this is allowed, that I should say “I can’t help you, because I had represented Mom when she put provided for co-pr’s and you will need a different attorney to change this”.

Josh

Joshua F. Grant, PS
Attorney at Law
P. O. Box 619
Wilbur, WA 99185
tel 509 647 5578
fax 509 647 2734

 IMPORTANT/CONFIDENTIAL: This e-mail message (and any attachments accompanying it) may contain confidential information, including information protected by attorney-client privilege. The information is intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s). Delivery of this message to anyone other than the intended recipient(s) is not intended to waive any privilege or otherwise detract from the confidentiality of the message. If you are not the intended recipient, or if this message has been addressed to you in error, do not read, disclose, reproduce, distribute, disseminate or otherwise use this transmission. Rather, please promptly notify the sender by reply e-mail, and then destroy all copies of the message and its attachments, if any.