[WSBAPT] DPA amending Will

Josh Grant jgrant at accima.com
Thu Oct 6 13:47:32 PDT 2016

I have a client who appointed son as P of A under a DPA.  It specifically includes the power “to the extent permitted by Washington law,” to make, amend alter or revoke the Principal’s LW&T.  Son now wants to sign a new will for mom under this power.  No change in beneficiaries, but the two adult kids (who now don’t get along) were named as co-PR’s originally, and now Son want’s to be sole PR.
Mom is probably not competent.

To what extent, if at all, does Washington law permit this?

All through the years I have always represented Mom.  I am thinking , even if this is allowed, that I should say “I can’t help you, because I had represented Mom when she put provided for co-pr’s and you will need a different attorney to change this”.

Josh

Joshua F. Grant, PS
Attorney at Law
P. O. Box 619