[WSBAPT] Creditor Claims Procedure for Ancillary Probate in Washington

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Tue Nov 8 08:44:21 PST 2016

I don't have a complete answer for you, but under Washington law at least, the creditor claim deadline is not a statute of limitations. Rather, it is a statute of nonclaim. (A statute of limitations bars a remedy, whereas a statute of nonclaim extinguishes a right of action.) If I remember correctly, there are some Washington cases that specifically distinguish between the two for purposes of preventing a reference to a "statute of limitations" from applying to the creditor claim deadline.

I think your other argument, about full faith and credit, is a good one, but I have no case law to back up my gut opinion. If Oregon is the state of domicile/residence, then I think the Oregon creditor claim process should bar any and all creditors wherever located. The problem only arises because you're going to need an ancillary probate in Washington, and I think it is a good argument that creditors should not get two bites at the apple by having two different opportunities to file a claim.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC
1417 31st Ave South
Seattle WA  98144-3909
phone 206-625-0092
fax 206-625-9040

Please Note that We Have Moved. We have moved our Seattle office to Mount Baker Ridge (a small commercial community just above the I-90 tunnel). Our new address is 1417 31st Avenue South, Seattle WA 98144. All other contact information remains the same.