[WSBAPT] Creditor Claims Procedure for Ancillary Probate in Washington

Thomas Hackett thomas at nwlegacylaw.com
Mon Nov 7 17:54:43 PST 2016

Hi-

I have a client needing to probate a single piece of Washington property.
Decedent was an Oregon resident and the PR for Oregon has completed the
procedure to shorten the creditor claims period in the Oregon probate. It
seems to me that the shortened creditor claims period applies to the
Washington property, but I want to make sure I'm clear on authority for
that.

I'm thinking the authority would either be RCW 11.40.051 (1) that "a person
having a claim against the decedent is forever barred from making a claim
or commencing an action against the decedent,* if the claim or action is
not already barred by an otherwise applicable statute of limitations*...."
And the shortened statute of limitation from Oregon works to bar the
creditor claim in Washington. Or, would it be by the full faith and credit
from the adjudication of creditor claims in Oregon?

Thank you in advance for insight.

*Thomas A. Hackett*
Attorney | NW Legacy Law Center, P.S.
360-975-7770 | http://nwlegacylaw.com