[WSBAPT] Harmful nonprofit governance opinion

Rob Wilson-Hoss rob at hctc.com
Mon May 23 13:22:18 PDT 2016

In my private response to Doug after his first post, I told him about a
hostile takeover of a longstanding rural community church and all its
assets. For many decades, it was a nondenominational middle of the road
Christian congregation. It generally ignored its governing documents for
many years. A group of other-minded Christians figured out that whoever
showed up at the annual meeting would be able to vote, they organized and
overwhelmed the usual congregation, voted themselves in, and essentially
stole the entire church for their much more fundamentalist congregation.
Out went the church property, the long-time pastor and all of the church
board, and soon enough, all of the former members.

I have no idea what the proper remedy is, other than small nonprofits
creating and following reasonable and fair rules to undertake the business
of fulfilling their purposes, but we all know that is not likely to happen
with many small nonprofits.

Rob