[WSBAPT] 2nd Try: is PR responsible for RE taxes

Mark Higgins markthiggins at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 11:56:59 PST 2016

Melinda--my brain is telling me that real estate taxes are not a personal
obligation of the land owner.  A land owner is free not to pay the taxes
and eventually the county will sell the property to satisfy the tax debt.
The county can't come personally against the land owner, I think.​  Thus, a
county claim asserting that the real estate taxes are a debt of the
decedent should be rejected as being not true.  Seems to me the taxes are
the heirs responsibility should they desire to pay them.

Just sayin' ....

Mark

On Sat, Mar 12, 2016 at 11:14 AM, Melinda <mkgroutlaw at gmail.com> wrote:

> Mates:
>
> Creditors Claim filed by County Treasurer for prop taxes on RE in the
> Estate.  Claims refers to 2016 taxes.
>
> Probate opened 4 months ago (late 2015), property deeded to heirs now.
> Since the law states that ownership by heir essentially begins at death of
> testator, are the property taxes from Testator’s DOD the responsibility of
> the receiving heir?  Or the responsibility of the Estate until date of
> actual transfer deed?
>
> Misspelled from my iPhone
>
> Melinda
>
> Law Office of Melinda K Grout
> PO Box 1360
> Monroe, WA 98272
> (360) 794-4322. Tel
> (425) 744-6745. Fax
>
> Notice:  This message is intended only for the addressee, and may contain
> confidential and/or privileged information.  If you are not the intended
> recipient, it is too late to stop reading, but please do not use it for any
> improper purpose.

Mark T. Higgins
Mark T. Higgins, P.C.
P.O. Box 57