[WSBAPT] Health Care Directive Delayed for Farewells

pugetsoundlaw at gmail.com pugetsoundlaw at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 09:47:43 PST 2016

Thank you for the thoughtful responses!

Tara M. Roberts

Puget Sound Law pllc

 <mailto:roberts at pugetsoundlaw.com> roberts at pugetsoundlaw.com

From: wsbapt-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com [mailto:wsbapt-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com] On Behalf Of Felicia Value, Attorney at Law
Sent: Thursday, March 3, 2016 1:40 PM
To: WSBA Probate & Trust Listserv <wsbapt at lists.wsbarppt.com>
Subject: Re: [WSBAPT] Health Care Directive Delayed for Farewells

Hi Tara -

I think the key will be the agent designated for health care decisions in a health care DPA (or the person given authority by default under RCW 11.94.)  Your client is describing a situation in which a lot of information will need to be assessed, and judgment calls made.  That’s not the role of the hospital or care providers,  and they will not want to do it.  Of course client needs to prepare a health care directive,  but I think the DPA for health care is even more important for what your client wants.

IMO,  client needs to make her wishes clear to her duly appointed agent for health care decisions, and his or her successor(s),  and make sure they understand and agree with what she wants.  Then spell it out in the DPA for health care, in everyday language that client might use -  e.g. “It is very important to me that my loved ones be given the chance to say their farewells to me, even if I am not apparently capable of interacting with them.  Therefore I direct my agent to keep me alive for a reasonable period of time (not to exceed __________) to allow loved ones to travel to where I am,  if this is feasible.”  You can see the major discretion given to the agent in words like “feasible,”  but we all know that health care crises have so many variables that it’s impossible to get too specific ahead of time.  Then make sure the documents are easy to find in a hurry,  and make sure each of client’s health care providers has copies.  Client can even open a patient medical file with these documents at the hospitals near her,  even if she’s never been admitted.

Then I’d echo this language in the health care directive,  probably on the first page,  bolded, such as “It is very important to me that my loved ones be given the chance to say their farewells to me, even if I am not apparently capable of interacting with them.  Therefore my care providers shall consult with and defer to my acting agent for health care decisions in questions of how long to maintain my life when I am in a terminal condition or a permanent unconscious condition.”

Just some thoughts-  hope that’s helpful.

Felicia Value
Attorney at Law
PO Box 578/116 North Third Street
La Conner, WA 98257
(360) 466-2088
www.skagitprobate.com <http://www.skagitprobate.com>

NOTE: I do not use encrypted email. Messages sent to or
from my office via email are not secure and may not be
protected by attorney client privilege. This email address
is not monitored at all times. If your matter is urgent,
please phone my office during regular business hours.

This email may contain confidential material protected by
attorney/client privilege, and is intended for use solely by the above
referenced recipient. Any review, copying, printing, disclosure,
distribution, or other use by any person or entity is strictly
prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the named recipient, or
believe you have received this email in error, please reply to the
sender and delete the copy you received. Thank you.