[WSBAPT] Undocumented Immigrant as PR?

Corey Rogers corey at findleyrogerslaw.com
Wed Jun 8 09:24:47 PDT 2016

HC is married to a currently-undocumented immigrant.  HC has questions as
to whether the undocumented spouse can serve as executor under will and
whether spouse can inherit real property in Washington.

I haven't found anything that would prevent spouse from inheriting in
Washington based on immigration status.  Does anyone have experience with
this issue?  Any resources you could recommend?

Also, I don't see a specific legal barrier to the undocumented spouse
serving as PR.  Am I missing something on this?  I do think there are
potential reasons not to appoint the undocumented spouse, such as (1) what
happens if they are deported before or during administration, and (2) the
possibility of ICE using the legal appointment and hearings as a way to
find the spouse.  Does anyone have additional guidance on this issue?

Corey H. Rogers
Attorney at Law
Findley & Rogers, PLLC
2633 Eastlake Avenue East, Suite 207
Seattle, WA 98102

T: (206) 331-7377
F: (206) 486-9930
corey at findleyrogerslaw.com

The content of this email and any attachments may contain information or
correspondence that is protected from disclosure by the attorney client
privilege.  This email is intended only for its intended recipient.  If you
receive this email in error, you are prohibited from disseminating this
email and must delete it immediately.   Please also contact Findley &
Rogers, PLLC if you receive this email and are not the intended recipient.
Thank you.