[WSBAPT] Changes in Social Security Rules "file and suspend" under recent legislation -Grandfathered

Josh Grant jgrant at accima.com
Tue Jan 26 15:52:21 PST 2016

Listmates

As you know several strategies which we have been explaining to our 62+ year old clients have been lost with regard to maximizing social security benefits.

I know "file and suspend" is no longer going to work.  What I am wondering now is if a 66 year old files and suspends prior to the deadline, can his 64 year old spouse take advantage the way we used to?  Or is that over?  I have a client whose husband “filed and suspended” at age 66 before the new rule went into effect.  Under the old rule  W could immediately file for her benefits pre age 66 and then when she turns 66 take a look at the numbers and switch to spousal support or she could wait and let the spousal support grow until age 70 at which time she can see if 1/2 of H's benefit would be more than what she can get from Spousal support.

I have read some articles on this but it isn't clear whether this is still available for the wife under the new rules.

I have used "Social Security for Dummies" in the past, however, the version at the book stores does not seem to reflect the new change in the law.  Anyone know of a good source that has been published after the change?

Josh

Joshua F. Grant, PS
Attorney at Law
P. O. Box 619