[WSBAPT] Fee Agreement Provision

Paul Neumiller pneumiller at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 20 09:58:47 PST 2016

As I spend hours in the basement deciding which old files to shred, a
thought came to mind.  Does anyone out there in lawyerland use a
provision/paragraph in his or her fee agreement that says, basically, the
attorney has the right to destroy the file after say, 7 years.  I know one
attorney's fee agreement says that the attorney will retain the file for one
year but is not obligated beyond the one year (BUT, he holds onto the file
for at least seven years.)  I am hoping this posting will address the nature
of a fee agreement provision and NOT the topic of how many years to retain
files, based on type of file, etc.