[WSBAPT] Death of mother and Guardianship

Marcus Fry mfry at lyon-law.com
Mon Jan 18 09:57:50 PST 2016

I have a situation with two minor children (each have different fathers) have survived their mother's passing.  One dad has been paying child support and visits occasionally.  One child is a teenager and doesn't want to be with father.  The other father hasn't paid any support and has nothing to do with the child.  Mother nominated a family member as guardian for both kids.  Can guardians seek and/or enforce child support obligations?  I assume so, but I haven't seen it done.  I recognize 3rd party custody cases do permit seeking support.  What is everyone's experience in these types of cases?  Do you get the guardian appointed and then have the guardian seek 3rd party custody?  Or is there another preferred method?

Sharing of any experience in these types of cases would be appreciated.

Marcus J. Fry
Lyon, Weigand & Gustafson, P.S.
P.O. Box 1689
Yakima, Washington  98907
Telephone:  (509) 248-7220
Facsimile:  (509) 575-1883

NOTICES:
Confidentiality: This e-mail transmission may contain information which is protected by attorney-client, work product and/or other privileges.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, or taking of any action in reliance on the contents, is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this transmission in error, please contact us immediately and return the e-mail to us by choosing Reply (or the corresponding function on your e-mail system) and then deleting the e-mail.