[WSBAPT] jtwros account intended to go to multiple kids

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Tue Jan 5 10:24:08 PST 2016

There might be some other workarounds, but if client is not willing to make the gift, then I think probate is the cleanest method of handling the transfer. Since this is an investment account and not simply cash, I think it is probably worth taking care to substantiate date of death values for tax basis purposes, and make an informed decision on whether some or all of the portfolio should be liquidated or distributed in-kind.

Before doing it that way, though, I would evaluate potential creditors and make sure that this method would not accidentally put a large amount of money at risk. In some scenarios, it might be better for the client to take the money via right of survivorship, and find some other workaround to give his sister half.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC