[WSBAPT] PR Deed Question

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Fri Feb 5 14:50:29 PST 2016

I think the answer depends on what the PR wants to do – just transfer the interest and be done with the estate, or do a little digging to try to clean up title.

If the mother and her spouse did not have a community property agreement or a JTWROS, then technically yes, there probably should be a probate open for the mother's spouse in order to transfer the title. However, since the mother's spouse died 5 to 6 years ago, a title insurance company might well be willing to simply insure around the lack of probate, so the lack of formality will not ultimately be a practical problem.

If it is not going to be cleaned up, I would do the PR deed as a quit claim so that it is without warranty as to title. I do not think the PR has a duty to clean up title, but only to transfer title in whatever condition it was in when the decedent had it.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC