[WSBAPT] Assignment of copyright

Tara M. Roberts pugetsoundlaw at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 17:49:48 PST 2016

I recently probated the estate of a photo journalist.  It also wasn't
necessarily valuable, but there was an extensive body of work with minor
licensing interests.  We did an "Assignment by Personal Representative" and
filed it in the probate and then got a certified copy from the clerk.

It worked fine for Getty Images and they set up the new licensing account
for the heir as the new owner with no problem.  We had a detailed inventory
of works, but I don't think Getty even asked about it.  I included a
catch-all in the assignment for any works that were left out of the
inventory.

To transfer to a trust, instead of an individual, just substitute in the
name of the trustee and identification info on the trust and it should work
the same.

Here's the language I used:

Assignment by Personal Representative

The Personal Representative of the Estate of , the Decedent, hereby assigns
to , as the sole heir, legatee, and devisee of under the Last Will of , any
and all rights and interests that may have belonged to the Decedent or his
Estate in his commercial photography, photographs, archives, and any other
works of art, including any copyrights, licensing, royalties, income, and
other rights and interests deriving from such works, whether such property
is known or hereafter discovered and whether or not it is described in any
Inventory and Appraisement related to these proceedings.

Tara M. Roberts

Puget Sound Law pllc

roberts at pugetsoundlaw.com <mailto:roberts at pugetsoundlaw.com>

The information contained in this email is intended as a collegial exchange
of ideas, may be incorrect, and is made without warranty of accuracy of any
kind.  The ideas and opinions expressed in this message are offered as
unresearched thoughts, may be retracted or changed without notice, and do
not create any attorney-client relationship.  They should not be relied upon
as applicable to any particular fact situation. Thank you.