[WSBAPT] Charitable Remainder Trust v. Living Trust

John Creahan john at cairn-law.com
Thu Dec 29 14:11:11 PST 2016

Hi Maureen,
Charitable gift planning is a significant part of my practice, and I would be happy to talk with you about your client's planning needs.
Based on the information you provided, I doubt that a testamentary charitable remainder trust would provide your client or her husband substantial income or estate tax benefits.
A testamentary marital trust or, perhaps, a testamentary charitable gift of the real estate subject to a retained life estate (for the husband's benefit) would likely accomplish her goals with less hassle or chance that something could go wrong. She could even consider gifting the real estate now while retaining a life estate for both of them.
Hope this helps,
John

John Creahan
john at cairn-law.com<mailto:john at cairn-law.com>