[WSBAPT] Charitable Remainder Trust v. Living Trust

Derek Jensen derek at jensenestatelaw.com
Wed Dec 28 10:46:47 PST 2016

Hi Maureen,

I'll the marital question for someone else, but take a stab at the CRT vs LT question.

Your client might benefit from using both. Tax law changes are coming, so planning should remain flexible and planners should look for opportunities. A unfunded or partially funded CRT could provide some immediate income tax benefit and a stream of income.

The living trust could hold all of her other assets and avoid probate on these assets. This would be beneficial since it sounds like your client would not want her husband to administer this property. Under probate law the surviving spouse would have the right to administer the community property.

Your client could transfer appreciated securities from the LT to the CRT prior to sale. Timing could be at her discretion and she could be the trustee.

Sincerely,

Derek W. Jensen, JD, LLM
Managing Attorney

[New Logo.tif]