[WSBAPT] POA effectiveness

Mark Vohr mcv at ohanafc.com
Mon Dec 19 15:41:09 PST 2016

Lisa -

                This is an example of why springing powers of attorney can be problematic.  I understand why a person would want it springing, but I guess if they have concerns about the AIF acting prior to the principal needing the assistance the real issue should be whether the appointed agent is an appropriate choice.

                If you can't get the certificate signed and you are otherwise stuck, an option may be to use what you had as evidence and petition the court under RCW  11.94.010(1)(a) to rule the power of attorney is in effect.  Not a great option because of cost and time - but an option.  Also, if the language of the DPOA permits, you may be able to source other options for who can sign off on the certificate.

Mark

Ohana Fiduciary Corp.
Ohana Financial Services

Mark C. Vohr, J.D., CPG, Principal