[WSBAPT] Old Creditor Claims

Tara M. Roberts pugetsoundlaw at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 17:34:21 PST 2016

My understanding is that claims that have been validly presented remain
"alive" past the 24-month cut off.  The 24-month deadline is the ultimate
deadline for claims to be presented, whether the creditor is known or not or
given notice or not.  Claims presented need to be allowed or rejected.

However, if the otherwise applicable SOL has passed and the underlying debt
is no longer collectible, then the estate doesn't owe the obligation anymore
either.  The debt has expired.  A validly presented claim won't preserve the
debt's collectability.

RCW 11.40.090(4) - A claim may not be allowed if it is barred by a statute
of limitations.

The creditor needs to take action to preserve their claim and get the PR to
act while the debt is valid and not just let it languish.

I would double check the debt SOL dates and make sure they have passed, and
then reject the claim based on an expired SOL or collection period.

Tara M. Roberts

Puget Sound Law pllc

roberts at pugetsoundlaw.com <mailto:roberts at pugetsoundlaw.com>

The information contained in this email is intended as a collegial exchange
of ideas, may be incorrect, and is made without warranty of accuracy of any
kind.  The ideas and opinions expressed in this message are offered as
unresearched thoughts, may be retracted or changed without notice, and do
not create any attorney-client relationship.  They should not be relied upon
as applicable to any particular fact situation. Thank you.